Last modified: 2019-04-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: oxford university | green-templeton college |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is an armorial flag possibly with a bordure Azure added.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 10 March 2019
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 March 2018
Shield Or, a Rod of Aesculapius Sable with the Serpent Azure, Flanches Vert each one charged with a Nautilus Shell Or the aperture outwards.
The coat of arms has three grants behind it. It combines elements of its predecessors, Green College, founded in 1979 and Templeton College. The latter was founded as Oxford Centre for Management Studies in 1965, opened in 1969, renamed into Templeton College in 1983, reminding on its benefactor Sir John Marks Templeton (1912 2008) a banker and philanthropist (an interesting combination). Green College was founded in 1979 by Cecil Howard Green, KBE (1900 2003), an American geophysicist and founder also of Texas Instruments. Both colleges merged in 2008. The focus of Green had been medicine, represented by the Rod of Aesculapius. The arms of Templeton were based on the personal arms of its founder, which displayed three golden Nautilus Shells on a blue field, together with a demi-horse, holding a Caduceus, the rod of Hermes. They had been designed by the York Herald in 1989. The arms of the new college also had a crest, blazoned as follows: On a Helm with a Wreath Or and Vert, In front of a Sun in splendour the rays voided Or the Astrological Symbol for Venus Vert. This arrangement is referring to the transit of Venus across the sun in 1761. This astronomical event prompted the foundation of the Radcliffe Observatory, which is located on the estates of Green College.
(= Online Version of: Oxford Today Vol.28 No.1 Michaelmas Term 2015)
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 March 2018
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 March 2019
Blade is parted of green and black by a yellow bendlet.
Source: (for current versions):
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 14 March 2019