Last modified: 2021-09-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: ambrolauri |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The town of Ambrolauri (2,500 inhabitants in 2002), the capital of
Region Racha-Lechkumi and Kverno Svaneti (western Georgia), is located in
the valley of Rioni, surrounded by high mountains. Ambrolauri was
granted the municipal status in 1966.
The settlement emerged in the 17th century as one of the royal towns of the Kings of Imereti; the only remains of the royal residence are a ruined church and a tower.
Per the 2014 administrative reform, the town of Ambrolauri was established a self-governing city, surrounded by the self-governing community of the same name.
Ivan Sache, 3 November 2011
Flag and arms of the City of Ambrolauri - Images by The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 3 November 2018
The flag of the City of Ambrolauri is mulberry with the
municipal coat of arms, outlined in white, in the center.
The coat of arms is "Per pale, 1. Argent a bunch of grapes leaved all purpure in base three fesses wavy purpure, 2. Purpure a tower argent three fesses wavy argent in base. The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown and surrounded by branches of grapevine all argent fimbriated sable. Under the shield a scroll argent fimbriated sable charged with the name of the town in Georgian capital letters sable surrounded by two crosses patty gules."
[ State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia]
The bunches of grapes, also featured on the arms of the Community of Ambrolauri, recall its main fame, the Khvanchkara red wine, made since 1932 with the local Alekasandrouli and Mudjuretuli grapes, and said to have been Joseph Stalin's preferred wine.
The tower represents Machabeli tower, located in the historical center
of the town, on the territory of the former summer residence of the
kings of Imereti. Built with sandstone and lime in the 17th century, the
tower was used as a checkpoint and observation post. Its name is
connected with King Solomon, who granted this tower and summer residence
to the Machablians refugees from Samachablo.
There also was a palace and the Door Church in the residence complex. Church ruins have been visited by Giorgi Bochoridze in 1924. He discovered the gravestone of Iese Machabeli in the floor of the church, which confirms the reality of the legend.
Ivan Sache, 3 November 2018
Flag and arms of the Community of Ambrolauri - Images by The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 20 January 2011
The flag and arms of the Community of Ambrolauri are prescribed by Decree No. 54, adopted on 29 December 2008 by the Municipal Council.
The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 20 January 2011
The flag of Ambrolauri is horizontally divided purple-white (4:1) with a white "Georgian" cross patty in the red stripe.
The flag seems to be derived from the municipal coat of arms, "Per fess serrated, 1. Purpure a cross patty argent, 2. Argent a grape purpure. The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown argent fimbriated sable. Under the shield a scroll argent fimbriated sable charged with the name of the town in Georgian capital letters sable".
The coat of arms recalls the geographical location of Ambrolauri and its main fame, the Khvanchkara red wine, made since 1932 with the local Alekasandrouli and Mudjuretuli grapes, and said to have been Joseph Stalin's preferred wine.
Ivan Sache, 5 December 2010