This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Gurjaani (Municipality, Georgia)


Last modified: 2018-12-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: gurjaani |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Arms]

Flag and arms of Gurajaani - Images by The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 8 February 2011

See also:

Presentation of Gurjaani

The municipality of Gurjaani (72,618 inhabitants in 2002, 10,000 in the town proper; 849 sq. km) is located in the Kakheti Region (eastern Georgia). Gurjaani is situated in the Alazani Valley, 415 m asl, and 110 km east of the nation's capital Tbilisi.
Gurjaani is located in an area densely populated since the Age of Bronze. The origin of the name of the town is disputed. One of the most popular explanations claims a Turkish origin, from gurj, "Georgia", Gurjaani being "the place where Georgians dwell".

Ivan Sache, 31 May 2012

Flag of Gurjaani

The flag and arms of Gurjaani are prescribed by Decree No. 11, adopted on 30 April 2010 by the Municipal Council.
The symbols were designed by Mamuka Chikashua.

The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 8 February 2011

The flag is blue with two white "Georgian" crosses patty placed horizontally in canton; in the bottom of the flag is placed a white horizontal stripe.
The coat of arms is "Argent a church gules, a chief serrated azure two crosses patty argent per fess. The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown argent fimbriated sable. Under the shield a scroll argent fimbriated sable charged with the name of the town in Georgian capital letters sable".

The colors of the arms are based on historical documents from the 18th-19th centuries, especially the two atlases published in 1745-1746 by Prince Vakhushti (Vakhushti Batonishvili, 1696-1757).
The church depicted on the arms is the double-domed Church of St. Mary, the only of its kind in the Orthodox world. The height of the church up to the top of the dome is 13,5 meters. Originally built in the 8th-9th centuries, the church was reconstructed in the 17th century after the devastating raids of Shah-Abbas I.
[State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia]

Jens Pattke & Ivan Sache, 31 May 2012