Last modified: 2014-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: pucisca | towers: 13 (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pučišća - Image by Željko Heimer, 10 January 2011
Pučišća is located in the north-eastern part of Brac island, approximately over the Brac channel from the town of Omiš, some 30 km south-east of Split. The town is located in a deep well-protected natural harbor and as such it was early developed as a fishing port.
Željko Heimer, 3 October 2004
The symbols of Pučišća are described in the Municipality Statutes Statut Općine Pučišća, adopted on 17 August 2009 by the Municipality Council and published the same day in the Municipality official gazette Slubeni glasnik Općine Pučišća, No. 4 (text).
The symbols were designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company, from Rijeka, and approved on 9 September 2002 by the Central State Office for Administration.
The flag is in proportions 1:2, white with the coat of arms in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 10 January 2011
Coat of arms of Pučišća - Image by Željko Heimer, 3 October 2004
The coat of arms is "Gules thirteen towers argent masoned sable, three, two, three, two and three".
Quoting the municipal website:
When calmer times arrived after 1420, the inhabitants descended from the highlands of Brac island in the Pučišća Bay. The inhabitants of the Pučišća valley, who had houses away from the sea, now built them at the very coast, but after 1462 when the threat from the Turks, who then ruled the Neretva river and the coastal lands, increased, they could not think of retreating to their original villages of Praženice and Straževik. The town was already formed, and one had to consider defense. Therefore the Pučišća men built castles. Thirteen forts, some of which have been preserved until today, got the nickname of "Port of Towers" to the town. In Venetian documents from the 1600s they are called "Castrum". No other place on Brac was so fortified.
Pučišća is the centre of the stone masonry industry on Brac, widely known and centuries old. Most of the monumental stoneworks, including cathedrals, in the Adriatic area and, according to some, also the White House in Washington DC, were built with Brac stone. The white masoned towers in the coat of arms should remind to that as well.
Željko Heimer, 28 August 2009
Ceremonial flag of Pučišća - Image by Željko Heimer, 3 October 2004
The ceremonial flag is a pale yellow gonfalon with three rectangular tails and a fringe along the bottom edges, with the coat of arms in the middle, the name of the municipality in two arches above it and the motto in a arch below it. In the tails there are ornaments of vine, olive and oak branches.
The motto could be translated as "Drop by drop wears away the stone" or, maybe, more literaly, as "Frequent drop wears away the stone". As explained on the municipal website, it was the motto of the Croatian Congress (Hrvatski skup), the first library established on the island in 1868. The oak ornament supposedly represents the holly oak Quercus ilex, although the ornament does look much like the common oak found in other Croatian gonfalons, together with grapevine and olive trees considered the "most frequent" trees in Pučišća.
Željko Heimer, 28 August 2009