This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Foynes Yacht Club, Ireland

Last modified: 2018-10-20 by rob raeside
Keywords: foynes yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Burgee

[Foynes Yacht Club burgee]image by Rob Raeside, 14 September 2018

Estb: 1962. Location: Cooleen Point, Foynes, Co. Limerick.
Burgee: Pennant 4:8 (web image). Yellow field fimbriated red (0.5 wide) on upper and lower fly edges and charged with a black silhouette of a lighthouse within a white disk (2 units diameter) encircled with a thin black line.
"Clubís General Rules 3. The Club colours shall be Red and Gold with an emblem of the Beeves Rock Lighthouse."
Source: accessed 10 September 2918.
https://foynesyachtclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Foynes-Yacht-Club-RULES.pdf

Note 1: "It was inevitable, of course, that with the increasing popularity of yachting on other coasts the pastime should develop in the [Shannon] Estuary. In July 1962 seven boat-owners, five from Limerick, one from Foynes and one from Newcastle West, got together in a Foynes local and simply formed a club. So Foynes Yacht Club was born."
Scott, R J. Foynes Yacht Club . . . . Itís Settings and Origins, 1991.
Source: accessed 10 September 2018, https://foynesyachtclub.com/history-2/

Note 2: "This George Halpin designed lighthouse was established in 1855. Sited at the mouth of the River Fergus, it replaced a forty-year-old beacon. The work was slowed by adverse tidal conditions, which covered the rock with 8 feet of water at high tide. Beeves Rock was converted to unwatched in 1933 and came under the jurisdiction of the Limerick Harbour Commissioners in 1981."
Source: accessed 13 September 2018,
http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/eagle/eagle31.html
Peter Edwards, 14 September 2018