Last modified: 2023-06-03 by zachary harden
Keywords: amazon basin | indigenous | international organisations |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Coordinator of Indigenous Organizations of the Amazon River Basin (Coordinadora de las Organizaciones Indígenas de la Cuenca
Amazónica - COICA )
was founded in 1984 in Lima. "The
objectives of the COICA organization are to promote and develop mechanisms that
encourage the interaction of Indigenous peoples with the member organizations of
COICA, to defend the self-determination of Indigenous peoples, to respect the
human rights of its members, to coordinate the actions of its members on an
international level, to fortify and cultivate mutual collaboration between all
Indigenous peoples of the region, and to promote the cultural vindication of its
members. Some of the initiatives that COICA has been able to accomplish include
allowing indigenous peoples to be educated in their native languages and the
foundation of an Amazon Indigenous University. Accomplishments such as these
have encouraged the revitalization of traditional cultures. In 1993, COICA’s
headquarters was permanently relocated to Quito."
This organization coordinates the following nine national Amazonian indigenous organizations:
- AIDESEP (Asociación Interétnica de Desarrollo de la Selva Peruana) official website, representing Perú.
- APA (Amerindian People’s Association of Guyana), representing Guyana.
- CIDOB (Confederación de Pueblos Indígenas de Bolivia), representing Bolivia.
- COIAB (Coordenação das Organizações Indígenas da Amazônia Brasileira) official website, representing Brazil.
- CONFENIAE (Confederation of Indigenous Nationalities of the Ecuadorian Amazonia) official website, flag, representing Ecuador.
- Regional Organization of Indigenous Towns of the Amazon
- FOAG (Federation des Organisations Amerindiennes de Guyane) official website, representing [French] Guyane.
- OIS (Organization Van Inheemsen In Surinam) official website, epresenting Suriname.
- OPIAC (Organización de los Pueblos Indígenas de la Amazonía Colombiana) official website, representing Colombia.
For additional information go to: COICA (official website).
Esteban Rivera, 13 October 2013