Last modified: 2013-01-05 by rob raeside
Keywords: jersey | channel islands |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
There are two stories told of the origins of the badges or emblems currently used by the parishes in Jersey. Two men are named, and the emblems could have been designed by either of them alone or, as seems more likely, by one designing and the other developing the ideas. Alfred G Wright was an artist, working at the time as art master at Victoria College. He had previously undertaken a commission from the States. He drew up the illuminated address that was presented to King George V in 1921, and it was here that the emblems were first used.
N V L Rybot was acknowledged to be an authority on matters of heraldry. It has been said that he designed the emblems, and that they were published for the first time in Jersey: an Isle of romance by Blanche Elliott in 1923. Some of these designs differ in detail from those used today and Rybot is believed to have redrawn them.
Whichever account is true, the emblems were not based on any earlier designs, but were designed according to the dedication of each parish church. They date from the 1920s. It seems certain that Major Rybot developed the drawings, and his description of the emblems supports this view. The parishes later adopted the emblems formally, and they are used in many instances today.
The website goes on to say, "Look out for how the emblems are used in each parish - on road signs and parish vehicles, at parish halls, on driving licences and other documents. It does not imply they are used as flags. Some parishes flags have however been found.
*For these parishes we have not (yet) been able to confirm its use by photographic evidence.