Vila do Ibo is the capital of Ibo
District in Cabo Delgado province in northern Mozambique.
The town is located on Ibo Island.
Ibo is one of the Quirimbas Islands in the Indian Ocean. The town grew as a Muslim trading
port. Vasco da Gama reportedly rested on the island in 1502. The island was
fortified in 1609 by the Portuguese.
In the late eighteenth century, Portuguese colonialists built the Fort of
São João, which still survives, and the town, as a slave port. It became the
second most important in the region after Mozambique Island. The island is
now a far quieter place, known for its silversmiths. Jens Pattke, 04 May 2016
Vila do Ibo flag (to 1975)
The colonial-era municipal flag of Vila do Ibo was a typical
flag design with the municipal coat of arms centered
on a white and red quartered background.
The coat of arms shows the figures of the Fort of São João Batista do Ibo
and Saint John. Jens Pattke, 04 May 2016