Drogeham / Droegeham has 1735 inhabitants. Its name means: dry spit of
land; it used to enclosed by water. It had its own brand of cows: "Droegehamsters",
not too fat, as depicted on the flag. Yellow color for sandy soil, green
for woody enclosures and blue for water.
The point in the Coat of Arms symbolizes the meaning of the village-name. The
golden color points at the sandy soil, while the blue fields refer to water.
The bell is a reminder of the Buwe-monastery, which was founded in the
13th century near Drogeham, but is was demolished in the 16th century.
The only remnant is a bell-cage. In the golden point is a green tree on
a yellow field, referring to the "brink", of old the center of the
village, where now is "Ikebuorren" - oak-neighbourhood. The items
in the tree and next to it are attributes of St. Walburga, the patron saint
of the village. She lived in the 8th century A.D. She can always be recognized
by a staff, a bible, a flacon with miracle-water and a crown.
The yellow point and the blue color from the arms are also on the flag,
In the yellow chevron is a green triangle, symbolzing the tree and the
area known as the "Hamster Mieden" (outlying field).
Source: Wapens en vlaggen in de gemeente Achtkarspelen, Buitenpost,