Friens is a village in Boarnsterhim municipality, Fryslân province.
It used to be in the former municipality of Idaarderadeel, 125 inhabitants
in 1958, 1973: 85. Apart from the church the main building was the "state"
(manor) Beslinga, rebuilt in 1620, inhabited by the Van Sytzama family,
pulled down in 1849.
Village nickname: "Bingels" = naughty boys, also clapper for
Friens: Coat of Arms: in silver two green clubs crossed, on top of it and below
it a red rose.
The Coat of Arms is composed of elements from the arms of the Sytzema family
(two roses) and the Beslinga's (crossed clubs).
Flag: two vertical stripes of white and red proportioned 2:1; in the
white stripe two green clubs in saltire.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1986.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 20 Aug 2003