Lytsewierrum (Dutch: Lutkewierum = little terpvillage), a village in Littenseradiel
municipality, Fryslân province; it used to be in the former municipality
of Hennaarderadeel, with (1958) 115; (1974)
88 inhabitants. 1955 was a catastrophic year, as the village lost Rien
hamlet, which become a separate village (and it really couldn't afford
to loose anything :-) Another catastrophic year was 1557 when hunger struck.
On 21 Aug the horse-market was held, discontinued in the 19th century.
To the village belongs also the hamlet Greatewierrum (Grotewierum), apparently
not so great nowadays.
Villagesong: "Rien, Rien de Rien, non, je regrette Rien"! Lytsewierrum coat of arms: gold, with a green base, charged with a golden corn sheaf;
in gold a running black mouse, hunted by a black cat; a gold chief charged
with three red triangles.
Flag: five horizontal stripes of green and yellow, proportioned 2:3:2:3:2,
with towards the hoist three red triangles on top of each
other and connected to each other, of which the tops are at 1/3 flag length
and towards the hoist lengthened with 1/6 flag length.
The cat hunting the nasty mouse is connected to Saint Gertrudis, patron
saint of the church, and of garden vegetables and cats; in the Middle Ages
she was called upon when mice caused a plague (like in 1557).
In the church the members of the Rheen family have been buried; the
corn sheaf was in the Rheen-family coat of arms. The three red triangles represent
Greatewierrum, where three impressive farmhouses are.
In the flag the three triangles represent the buildings of the village,
in Lytsewierrum, as well as in Greatewierrum. The colors green and yellow
are from the village arms.
Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 2001.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 9 Sep 2003
Lytsewierrum coat of arms
from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.