Official name: Raerd (Dutch: Rauwerd) village in Boarnsterhim, formerly
seat of the former municipality of Rauwerderhem. In the 15th century Raerd
(not to be confused with Raard in Dongeradeel)
was on the road Sneek-Oostergo (=Wijns),
and it suffered from troops marching to and fro on that road (sieges, occupations,
and what not). The grietmannen (mayors) of
Rauwerderhem lived in the Jongema-state in Rauwerd, which has disappeared,
but its domain is still a nature-reserve (Raerder bosk).
Raerd: coat of arms: in red a silver fess with three red roses.
The village gave its name to the former municipality of Raerderhim
(Rauwerderhem), therefore the red-white shield has been adopted for the
village arms. The three roses are from the arms of the Jongema family.
Flag: two vertical stripes of white and red, proportioned 2:1; in the
white stripe a red rose.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1986.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Aug 2003