Surhuisterveen / Surhústerfean (5740 inh) was founded in the 16th
century as a place for peat-diggers and -skippers. Even earlier monks from
the monastery Jeruzalem in Gerkesklooster had started the "cultivation",
but in 1576 a group of businessmen from Utrecht made a contract with that
monastery to dig up the high heath-grounds around Surhuizum. Because of
the presence of entrepreneurs Surhuisterveen developed into a regional
Surhuisterveen is a "vlecke" (formerly a place with a status between
a town and a village), which is why it has a "vlekke-kroon" (townlet-crown).
It originated in peat-digging, which is why peat-blocks have been put on
flag and Coat of Arms. The village is in the "Friese Wouden" (Frisian forests),
which is why there is an acorn on the Coat of Arms. The cloverleaf symbolizes the
meadows south of the village. The blue bar and the red pole refer to the
canal and the road which meet in the village.
Source: Wapens en vlaggen in de gemeente Achtkarspelen, Buitenpost,