Wergea (Dutch: Warga), village in Boarnsterhim municipality, Fryslân.
It used to be in the former municipality of Idaarderadeel, with three churches
and (1958) 1484 inhabitants; 1973: 1684. It was between three lakes (made
dry): Hempensermeer (1779), Wargaaster meer (1633), Jornahuister meer (or
Lytse mar, 1633). It was the first Frisian village with a dairy factory,
and main depot of the Frico firm (which produces Friesche Vlag dairy
products, sold in every village in the Sahara). It used to be famous for
skate-making, but that industry has moved to Drylts.
Wergea: coat of arms: in silver a blue fess charged with a golden skate with
two red cogwheels and below it three red fishes placed 2-1.
The coat of arms was designed after consultation of the local historical and
The cogwheels represent the Frico dairy factory. The skate, for the
"Wergeaster Redens" factory, is in blue as a reminder of the canal
Âlddjip (Old Deep). which connected the village in olden days with
the Middelzee. The three fishes remind of the three former lakes.
Flag: two vertical stripes of blue and white, proportioned 2:1; in
the blue stripe a yellow skate.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 1986.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 21 Aug 2003