Zurich / Surch is not only a place in Switzerland, but also a tiny village
in Fryslân, the first settlement one sees when travelling over the
"Afsluitdijk" (Enclosuredam), in the municipality of Wûnseradiel.
As André van der Loo recently wrote, the inhabitants didn't want
to Frisify their placename, as it would take no more Swiss to visit the
village. Its original name was "Zuderinghe", which meant something
like "Southern corner", possibly related to the town of Harlingen. In 1958
it had 340
inhabitants. In 1974 the number had dwindled to 196, mainly because
the road from the Afsluitdijk to Leeuwarden and Heerenveen didn't run anymore
through the village.
But Zurich has a flag, on this
website is a small image. It consists of a red field with a diagonal
yellow stripe from top hoist to fly bottom. To the hoist is a small blue
stripe, split in the middle by a small white stripe.
Jarig Bakker, 13 May 2003