Sierksma, in Nederlands Vlaggen boek, 1962 [sie62]
wrote: Two equally wide horizontal stripes of yellow and green, with in
the center the municipal arms.
This flag was adopted by municipal resolution of 12 Nov 1956. The main
colors of the flag are derived from the colors of the municipal arms. Unfortunately
no account was taken of the old flag of the "Zeemanscollege" De
Trouw, which had a tricolor RWB, proportioned 1:2:1. Oude Pekela or
Beneden-Pekela was founded in 1599 by Feiko Allens Clock, when the peat-digging
started. In 1635 the City of Groningen became its owner.
Jarig Bakker, 30 Apr 2003
De Trouw Zeemanscollege
by Jaume Ollé, 27 Apr 2003, after Steenbergen:
Vlaggen van alle Natiën, 1862
Collegie "De Trouw" (College "The Fidelity"), established 1851 in Oude
Pekela. Leen Smit pictures number 1. Probably still existed in 1891, but
by 1979 it had disappeared.
Flag: Red over white over blue, with a black number centered on the
white stripe. Though the colours are certainly correct, [sie62]
adds a ratio for the stripes: 1:2:1. This makes sense as otherwise the
unnumbered flag of the college itself would be exactly like a Dutch flag.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 6 Dec 2001