Sittard with its 50.000 inhabitants is situated in the heart of Limburg
province, the narrowest part of the province, sharing a border with Germany
and Belgium being only a few kilometers away. The (former) municipality
of Sittard itself is the result of a merger of the former municipalities
of Sittard, Limbricht and Munstergeleen (1982) and included the villages
of Guttecoven, Einighausen and Windraak. In 1942 the then German municipality
of Broeksittard was handed over to Sittard by the German occupiers. In
1157 the name Sittard appears in documents, and is probably derived from
the word "de Siter", which is a fertile piece of land between Geleenbeek
and de Rode Beek. In 1243 Sittard became a City. In 1677 Sittard was destroyed
completely. In 1400 Sittard together with Born and Susteren, was sold to
the Duke of Gulik, under who's power it remained until 1794, when the French
took over. In 1814 Sittard became part of the "Verenigd Koninkrijk der
Nederlanden", but this only lasted until 1830. Between 1830 and 1839
is was part of the new state of Belgium, and after that it became a permanent
part of the Netherlands.
The Coat of Arms was designed in 1982 (at the merger). In gold with a curly
cross in sable, in the base gules three chevronny or. The shield is covered
with a crown of three leaves or. The base is a reminder of the former municipality
The flag is described as : Field in yellow with a red Pennon a third
of the length of the flag, on the fly a black curly cross, of which the
height is 4/5 of the height of the flag.
Sittard old flag
by Jarig Bakker, 23 Apr 2005
adopted 1974; Design: Hoge Raad van Adel
Sittard is a former municipality in Limburg province, since 2001 part
of the new municipality of Sittard-Geleen. In 1982 it absorbed a lot of
small surrounding municipalities and got a new flag and Coat of Arms.
However in 1974 it had adopted:
Flag: blue charged with a yellow snake-cross (cross gringoly).
Design: Hoge Raad van Adel. The cross is of 4/5 flagheight. It was
replaced in 1982 with a yellow flag with a black cross moline, with a red
Source: Vexilla Nostra (139) p.61.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Apr 2005
Sittard old Coat of Arms
by Jarig Bakker, 23 Apr 2005, after "Limburg in Vogelvlucht",
Granted 20 Oct 1819
Arms: azure 8 snake's heads or.
The oldest seals of the city and of the Court of Aldermen (13th century)
show a cross moline. In the 15th century it was replaced by the snake-cross.
One can't help seeing the snake laugh on this Coat of Arms - probably in honor
of the great comedian Toon Hermans, who was born here. He made ordinary
events hilarious, and found a TV-audience of over 10 million to enjoy his
"One man show".
Jarig Bakker, 23 Apr 2005