This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ulestraten (The Netherlands)

Meerssen municipality, Limburg province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: ulestraten |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ulestraten flag] by Jarig Bakker, 2 May 2005
adopted 18 Apr 1968, design: Stichting voor Banistiek en Heraldiek

See also:

Ulestraten former municipality

Ulestraten is a former municipality in Limburg province, since 1982 part of Meerssen.
Flag: red, a black 6-spoked wheel shifted towards the hoist, cut by white sword with a yellow hilt, all of 4/5 flagheight.
adopted 18 Apr 1968 by municipal resolution; design: Stichting voor Banistiek en Heraldiek.

Ulestraten has more pressing problems than its old arms and flag: the airport Beek threatens to absorb the whole village and the provincial and national government give warm support to the airport, because the planes are virtually noiseless, especially the Hercules transport planes: in Maastricht and Den Haag they fly with less noise than sparrows make!
Source: Vexilla Nostra, IV: 55; VN 22 (152): 92;  159 (yr 23), Nov/Dec 1988.
Sierksma: De gemeentewapens van Nederland, 1960.
Jarig Bakker, 2 May 2005

Ulestraten Coat of Arms

[Ulestraten Coat of Arms] scanned from "Limburg in Vogelvlucht".
Granted 13 Apr 1889.

Arms: azure, St. Catherine with face and hands of natural color, crowned and clothed or, standing on a terrace vert, with her right foot on the lying body of Emperor Maxentius, clothed noir, crowned or with in his hand a sceptre or; the Saint has on her left a pinned wheel argent; in her right hand a naked sword argent, hilted or pointing downwards, in her left hand a shield crowned or, parti: a. the arms of the Hoensbroeck family, charged with 8 fesses of argent and gules, over all a lion rampant crowned and armed or, double-tailed; b. the arms of the family Aspremont-Lynden-Rechem, quartered: 1 and 4 gules a cross or; 2 and 3 or a lion rampant gules.

The arms reflect the history of the municipality. From 1626-1794 it was a Free Lordship, at first on Spanish (occupied) territory, in 1661 it became property of the States General. In 1794 the municipality of Ulestraten was founded.