Zesgehuchten, a former municipality of North Brabant incorporated into
Geldrop (merged with Mierlo to form Geldrop-Mierlo in 2004) in 1921, will
officially unveil its flag on 17 May 2009.
When a municipality, Zesgehuchten had no flag; accordingly, the local
association "Belangenvereniging Zesgehuchten" decided to offer the village
an "historic accurate flag". The flag is vertically divided blue-yellow
(1:2) with two yellow six-pointed stars placed vertically in the blue stripes
and three red horns placed 2 and 1 in the yellow stripe.
Yellow, blue and red are the colours of the arms of the former municipality
The horns come from the arms of the Lords of Heeze, Leende and Zesgehuchten,
from the House of Horne.
The arms of Zesgehuchten, granted by Royal Decree on 16 July 1817,
are: "Azure a tree or holding an escutcheon of the same three horns azure
in chief two mullets or".
In 1996, the North Brabant Commission for Heraldry and Vexillology
modified the arms, to be used as the village arms "Or three horns gules
surrounding a mullet of the same".
This design does not seem to be actually used.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.
Ivan Sache, 14 May 2009
The site cited by Ivan shows the flag and multiple photos of its inauguration.
The Zesgehuchten (6 hamlets) are: Riel, Gijzenrooi, Genoenhuis, Hoog-Geldrop,
Hout, Hulst, Papevoort and Putten - the municipality was named after the
first 6, the earliest settlements. The inhabitants lived off the soil and
off factory-labour in Geldrop. The soil is sandy, but when it's been raining
one drowns in slick and when it's dry one can't breath because of dust.
The soil produced rye, buckwheat, oats, barley, tatties, flax, hemp and
of course spurry. There was a cornmill.
The municipality was abolished in 1920; most went to Geldrop, part
(Riel) went to Eindhoven.
Jarig Bakker, 6 Aug 2009
image from the Koffie Hag album.
granted 16 Jul 1817