Vollenhove is a small town in Overijssel, part of the new municipality
of Steenwijkerland. Its name is derived from the old "Gouw" (shire) of
Fulnaho (= foal's hill; mentioned in 944 - the place is still known locally
as Volnáo). Here Bishop Godfried van Reenen (of Utrecht) built a
castle in 1165, from where the Utrecht Bishops ruled the "Oversticht" (Overijssel).
In 1354 Vollenhove received city-rights and many nobles had stately houses
built here. Now it's a sleepy little town, closed off from the IJsselmeer
after the "inpoldering" of the Noordoostpolder..
Vollenhove became part of Brederwiede in 1973, and since 1 Jan 2001
is a part of Steenwijkerland.
The flag of Vollenhove has four equally wide horizontal stripes red
- white - yellow - green, adopted by municipal resolution on 17 Jun 1958.
Jarig Bakker, 31 May 2003
Vollenhove (unofficial) town flag
by Jarig Bakker, 3 Oct 2004
website another (unofficial flag) is presented: red with a white cross;
each quarter with a white six-pointed star; in the center of the cross
a yellow 6-pointed star.
Until 1 Feb 1942 there were two separate municipalities: Stad Vollenhove
(the town), and Ambt Vollenhove (the countryside). Stad Vollenhove had
a coat of arms: in red a cross of silver, charged with a sixpointed star
of gold; in each of the top quarters a five-pointed white star; in each
of the bottom quarters a white six-pointed star. On the mentioned site
is a drawing from Ralf Hartemink's site with four white six-pointed stars,
(which Ralf has removed, without replacing it with the correct one), but
drs. Jos Mooijweer, on behalf of the "Belangenvereniging Stad Vollenhove"
in 2002 made a design as described above.
The white cross of red is from the Bishops of Utrecht, overlords of
Overijssel (and Vollenhove) in the Middle Ages. The origin of the stars
is not known.
The Ambt Vollenhove had nearly identical arms, without the white stars.
Jarig Bakker, 3 Oct 2004
Vollenhove town Coat of Arms
by Jarig Bakker, 3 Oct 2004, after image in the Koffie Hag Album.