Population (1 Jan 2003): 13.740; area: 585,96 km². Settlements: Den
Burg (seat), Bargen, De Cocksdorp, De Koog, De Nes, De Waal, Den Hoorn,
Dijkmanshuizen, Driehuizen, Harkebuurt, 't Horntje, Midden-Eierland, Molenbuurt,
Nieuweschild, Noorderbuurt, Ongeren, Oost, Oosterend, Oudeschild, Spang,
Spijkdorp, Tienhoven, Westermient, Zevenhuizen, Zuid-Eierland.
The municipal flag consists of two horizontal stripes of equal width,
top green, bottom black. According to the Nederlands Historisch Scheepvaartmuseum
this flag existed already in 1705. The colors were found in a shield over
the side-entrance of the orphanage. On that shield two orphans were depicted
in green-black clothing.
This flag was reported by Mayor and Aldermen in April 1857 to the Minister
of Home Affairs, and is still widely used. Officially adopted 4 Jun 1964
by municipal resolution.
A variant is the four-striped black-green flag, which occurred in the
manuscript of Gerrit Hesman (1708).
In several sources since 1711 a green-blue flag is reported.
The colors black and green are derived from the municipal arms, but
the colors blue and green are not, and neither is the combination green
- red, as documented by Steenbergen, c. 1870.
A special "Dutch" variant is the 21-striped flag. Three sources have
erroneously the combination red - yellow - blue. This variant is already
mentioned in 1711.
Source: Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek, 1962[sie62].
21 striped flag
Mark Sensen, 16 November 1996
Horizontal green over blue, with a border around three sides of the
flag (all except the fly) that is made up of thin stripes of red, white
(Source: Dutch atlas made by Delisle in 1739)
James Dignan, 14 November 1996
[sie62] Sierksma 1962 describes this
as: 21 horizontal stripes red-white-blue, of which 15 in the fly are occupied
by a panel green over blue.
The municipal arms of Texel is: a golden shield with two facing red
lions, standing on the arms of a turned black anchor.
The origin of the Coat of Arms is unknown, as well as its meaning. The anchor
in the shield originates probably in the importance of shipping for the
island. The Coat of Arms was confirmed by the High Council of Nobility on 26 June
1816. However in 1536 the arms was already used on official seals.