This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Terneuzen (The Netherlands)

Zeeland province

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: terneuzen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Terneuzen municipality Shipmate Flagchart :
adopted 27 July 2002; Design: Mr. Dingeman de Koning

Other Terneuzen pages: See also:

Terneuzen municipality

Number of inhabitants (1 Jan 2003): 55.518; area: 268,24 km². Settlements: Terneuzen (seat), Axel, Biervliet, Hoek, Koewacht, Overslag, Philippine, Sas van Gent, Sluiskil, Spui, Westdorpe, Zaamslag, Zandstraat, Zuiddorpe.
In 1970 part of Biervliet (see Oostburg), part of Westdorpe (see Axel) and part of Zaamslag (see Axel), merged with Terneuzen to form the new municipality of Terneuzen, the flag remained the same. Terneuzen consisted after the 1970 merger of Biervliet, Hoek, Sluiskil, Terneuzen, Zaamslag and part of Spui, and 35.000 inhabitants. On 1 Jan 2003 Terneuzen merged with Axel and Sas van Gent to form the new municipality of Terneuzen.
Franc van Diest, 9 Mar 2003

Terneuzen is in Zeeuws Vlaanderen, the southernmost part of Zeeland province; the merger took place 2 Jan 2003.
On 27 July 2002 the new Coat of Arms of the merged municipality (that is: Terneuzen, Axel and Sas van Gent) was presented in the cityhall of Terneuzen, together with the new municipal flag. Design: Dingeman de Koning from Axel.

In the Coat of Arms elements from the arms of the former municipalities were joined. In the new Coat of Arms the base and the lion from the Terneuzen arms have been used. Those elements were already in the Terneuzen arms in 1584, when Willem van Oranje (William the Silent) granted the city rights. The lock-doors are from the arms of Sas van Gent (which literally means: lock of Gent), where they were already present in 1564.

Axel, the oldest town in the Channelzone, delivered the key, which was already displayed in 1244. That the key is in the right paw has a special meaning: in the time of the "geuzen" (since 1572) it designated that it was a town of Zeeland, not of Vlaanderen. The crown was added to the arms to signify that Central Zeeuws-Vlaanderen used to be under the authority of the Counts of Vlaanderen.

For the flag elements flags of the former municipalities were also used. In the canton are seven stripes, alternating red and white, derived from Sas van Gent, which symbolizes the three channel arms (white), which pass through the town. The key refers to Axel, and the lion and wavy stripes to Terneuzen.
Source: Terneuzen municipality website.
Jarig Bakker, 3 May 2003

Terneuzen incorrect flag

Terneuzen municipality Shipmate Flagchart :

Gerard van der Vaart (of Shipmate) was notified by the designer of the Terneuzen municipal flag, Mr. De Koning, that the image on the Shipmate site and on FOTW-ws was wrong. The bottom stripes are not wavy but straight.
Gerard accordingly changed the image.
See also: the Terneuzen municipal site.
Jarig Bakker, 17 Oct 2004

Terneuzen Coat of Arms

[Terneuzen Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 23 Oct 2004, after image from the this website.

Terneuzen 1964 flag

[First Terneuzen flag] by Jarig Bakker, 14 May 2004

Hans van Heijningen, the veteran Dutch vexillologist, just sent me an image of a square flag, adopted in 1964, - bottom five wavy bars blue - white, top a yellow field with a red lion issueing from the waves, holding a blue key. In the attachment the key-bit is pointing to the bottom - that has been corrected by a ballpoint-sketch of the bit pointing upwards, which is the correct rendition (note the mix of old and new technology!)
Jarig Bakker, 12 Aug 2003

Before Biervliet, Zaamslag and Hoek in 1970 were merged into Terneuzen, there was another flag: square with the old arms without epaulette, adopted in 1964.
Hans van Heijningen, 12 Aug 2003

Terneuzen 1972 flag

Terneuzen municipality Shipmate Flagchart :
adopted 1972

Old Terneuzen Coat of Arms

[Old Terneuzen Coat of Arms] image from the Axel municipal website.
Granted 6 Jan 1971

Description: Wavy per fess: I. in gold an issuing lion of red, tongued and nailed blue, with in its right forepaw a key of blue and a shield quartered: A. in red a narrowed cross of gold, in each quarter with 5 pennies of the same, placed 2,1,2; B. per fess: a. in blue an opened castle with three embattlements; b. in gold a left diagonally placed flying swallow of black; II. wavy and per fess of blue and silver of 6 pieces. The shield surmoiunted by a golden crown of 3 leaves and 2 pearls.

First Terneuzen Coat of Arms

[First Terneuzen Coat of Arms] by Jarig Bakker, 15 May 2004, after image in the Koffie Hag album.
Granted 31 Jul 1817

Description: In gold a lion of red, holding in its right forepaw a key of blue and swimming on a sea of blue and silver.
That is the coat of arms of Zeeland, with the addition of the blue key. The fortress of Terneuzen was considered as invincible in the 17th century, and as the key to Zeeland.