This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Krynica-Zdrój commune (Poland)

Nowy Sacz county, Malopolskie vojvodship

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: krynica-zdroj |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Krynica-Zdrój commune flag] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Oct 2008
adopted 17 Oct 2003 See also:

Krynica-Zdrój commune flag

Krynica-Zdrój - urban-rural commune, Nowy Sącz County, Małopolskie Voivodship - former name of the commune: Tylicz (1973-76) - (Krynica was its seat anyway) - former name of the town: Krynica (until 2002).

Krynica-Zdrój ) is a town in southern Poland in Beskid Sądecki mountains, inhabited by over eleven thousand people.
It is the biggest spa town in Poland called The Pearl of Polish Spas; a tourist and winter sport centre. It was first recorded in 1547 and became a town in 1889. Part of the inhabitants belong to the Lemko minority. The 1931 World Ice Hockey Championships were played in the town.

A gondola lift built in 1997 on the Jaworzyna Krynicka, a mountain overlooking Krynica, and subsequent investment in modern skiing facilities made it one of the most important ski resorts in Poland. Nearby mountains are also a perfect setting for cross-country skiing and mountain-biking.

Krynica is sometimes nicknamed "Polish Davos" for the Economic Summit "Poland-East" held there each year in September. Politicians (including heads of state) and businessmen from several countries of Central Europe, former Soviet Union and Arabic countries meet there to discuss economic and political matters.

Krynica was home to Nikifor (correct name: Epifaniusz Drowniak), a famous naive painter. (I have one of his original paintings, acquired after an exhibition in
Chicago - very interesting work).

Arms and flag adopted on October 17, 2003 (resolution # XIII/124/03).
"Arms: on the blue shield there is a silver jug (or pitcher - in Polish: dzban) and above it, three golden crowns taken from the Coat of Arms of Cracow Bisphoric, former owner of the town (until 1772).
Flag: a rectangle in proportions 5:8. Blue with the Arms (without the shield)."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Oct 2008

Krynica-Zdrój Coat of Arms

[Krynica-Zdrój coat of arms] image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Oct 2008
adopted 17 Oct 2003