Morzeszczyn - rural commune, Tczew County, Pomorskie Voivodship - German
Gmina Morzeszczyn is a rural gmina (commune) in Tczew County, Pomeranian
Voivodeship, in northern Poland. Its seat is the village of Morzeszczyn,
which lies approximately 29 kilometres (18 mi) south of Tczew and 59 km
(37 mi) south of the regional capital Gdańsk.
Area: 91.22 sq.km (35.2 sq.mi); Population: 3,801 (2006).
The history of the commune reaches 13th century. When Cistercians came
to Pelplin, the Duke Mestwin II granted the land to the local inhabitants,
a significant part of this land is today's commune of Morzeszczyn. Cistercians
have changed the life of local population, from diffuse settlement they
made a compact country.
The first sign of economic development of this land were rising villages,
grinding mills and brick churches. The first good standing villages were
Nowa Cerkiew and Borkowo (cistercian grange). (from commune's website)
Arms and flag adopted on February 27, 2003 (resolution # V/33/03).
"Arms: "the bottom part of the emblem presents an oak tree. It symbolize
the landscape and the economy of Morzeszczyn, which mainly was overgrown
by forests in the past. For today's day it has preserved a lot of oak trees,
particularly in the vicinity of Borkowo village. The overhead part of the
emblem presents a silver
cross between two ears of cereal. The silver cross is a symbol
of Cistercians, which Morzeszczyn land was the ownership since 1276. Ears
of cereal symbolize the development of civilization and agriculture, under
the authority of supreme church". (from commune's website).
Flag:a rectangle composed of two horizontal bands: yellow over green.
The Arms placed centrally on the flag."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 4 Nov 2008
Morzeszczyn Coat of Arms
image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 4 Nov 2008
adopted 27 Feb 2003