Stary Dzierzgoń - rural commune, Sztum County, Pomorskie Voivodship - German
name: Alt Christburg.
Gmina Stary Dzierzgoń is a rural gmina (commune) in Sztum County, Pomeranian
Voivodeship, in northern Poland. Its seat is the village of Stary Dzierzgoń,
which lies approximately 26 kilometres (16 mi) east of Sztum and 77 km
(48 mi) south-east of the regional capital Gdańsk.
Area: 185.82 sq.km (71.7 sq.mi); Population: 4,041 (2006).
The village of Stary Dzierzgoń was an old Prusian settlement conquered
by the Teutonic Knights in 1249. It was established as the village in 1312.
Arms and flag were adopted in January 2006 (no exact date available).
"Arms:on a gold, Spanish-style shield there is a tree - black oak -
above three blue wavy lines.
Color gold symbolizes richness in heraldry and, in this case, agricultural
character of the commune.
The tree - black oak - reminds of the Prusian tribes inhabiting the
area in ancient times and also signifies nearby forests.
The blue, wavy lines stand for the river Dzierzgoń (Sorge) and the
location of the commune in the Iława Lakes region.
The designer of the Arms and flag is Mr.Tomasz Kipka - graphic artist.
Flag: rectangular piece of cloth composed of three uneven horizontal
bands: yellow-black-blue with the Arms placed in its center."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 4 Nov 2008
Stary Dzierzgoń Coat of Arms
image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 4 Nov 2008
adopted Jan 2006; design: Tomasz Kipka