Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: chorzow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Chorzów is a city county without a corresponding land county. Flag adopted:
22 June 1938. Source: Flaga 7. Chorzów is a manufacturing and mining
city 10 km NNW of Katowice with (1981) 149.649 inhabitants. Chorzow or
Chorzów Stary was the name of the old village, founded in 1257. In 1791
the Germans opened a coalmine 'König', and nearby founded a settlement
'Königshütte', aka 'Nowy Chorzów', also known as 'Królewska Huta'. In 1922 'Königshütte'
was ceded to Poland, renamed 'Królewska Huta'; in 1934 an agglomeration
was formed by fusion of the communes of Chorzów, Hajduki Nowe, and Królewska
Huta, and renamed 'Chorzów', and it retained that name since then.
Gunnar Staack, 22 Dec 2000
In April 1936 the city council of Chorzów organized a competition to
get a new Coat of Arms. Many proposals were sent in, and the one from the
Department of History of the Jagiellonian University was selected. Designer
was Jan Czarnecki, the son of a teacher from Chorzów. It was confirmed
as city coat of arms on 14 June 1938. The coat of arms consists of two fields and reminds
of the coats of arms of old Upper Silesian towns. The right field has a golden eagle,
its head turned to the right, on a blue background. The left field has a
double cross, with at the end spread arms on a black background. The eagle
of the Upper Silesian Piasts reminds of the fact that the village of Chorzów
was presented in 1257 to the Miechowite monastery by Prince Władysław of Opole. After the adoption of the coat of arms the city council adopted as city colors
blue and red.
Source: the Chorzow homepage.
Jarig Bakker, 26 Dec 2000