Ożarowice - rural commune, Tarnowskie Góry County, Śląskie Voivodship -
former name: gmina Sączów (1950-54).
Gmina Ożarowice is a rural gmina (commune) in Tarnowskie Góry County,
Silesian Voivodship, in southern Poland. Its seat is the village of Ożarowice,
which lies approximately 14 kilometres (9 mi) east of Tarnowskie Góry and
25 km (16 mi) north of the regional capital Katowice.
Area: 43.72 sq.km (16.9 sq.mi); Population: 5,368 (2006).
An industrial-agricultural commune; land under cultivation - 67%; forests
Soccer (football) teams: "LKS Piast Ożarowice" (also volleyball, aikido
and ping-pong), and "LZS Tęcza Zendek"
During WWII, the Germans built the Luftwaffe airport Schendeck. Destroyed
at the end of the war, rebuilt by the Soviets and transferred to the Polish
Air Force, it became a modern Katowice International Airport (KTW).
Arms and flag adopted on April 30, 2003 (resolution # VI/48/2003).
"Arms: blue shield with the green grassy field at the bottom. On it
a golden wheel with seven spokes symbolizing the seven villages of the
commune. Above it, silver aircraft wings.
Flag: rectangle in the ratio 5:8 composed of two uneven horizontal bands:
blue and green.
Green band is 1/4 of the width of the flag.
On the blue field there are Arms placed in its middle."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 21 Dec 2008
Ożarowice Coat of Arms
image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 21 Dec 2008
adopted 30 Apr 2003