Wojkowice - urban commune, Będzin County, Śląskie Voivodship - German name:
Wojkowice is a town in Będzin County, Silesian Voivodeship, Poland,
with 9,531 inhabitants (2004). It lies on the Brynica river.
Historically, it lies in the Zagłębie Dąbrowskie (Dąbrowa Coal Basin)
region of Lesser Poland, adjoining the Silesia region.
Area: 12.77 sq.km (4.9 sq.mi); Population: 9,434.
First mentioned in 1271. Became a self-governing town on January 1,
New Arms and flag adopted on January 28, 2008 (resolution # XIX/91/2008).
Old Arms were adopted on March 9, 1992.
"Arms: above the blue river golden milling wheel under the pastoral
staff and the sword, crossed, on the red background.
River is Brynica, which forms a historical border between Lesser Poland
(Malopolska) and Silesia.
Red is a color of Lesser Poland and blue is a color of Silesia.
Flag: a rectangle in the ratio 5:8 in the colors of red and blue, where
the blue cresting wave symbolizes the River Brynica."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 9 Nov 2008
Wojkowice Coat of Arms
image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 9 Nov 2008
adopted 28 Jan 2008