Ożarów - urban-rural commune, Opatów County, Świętokrzyskie Voivodship.
Gmina Ożarów is an urban-rural gmina (commune) in Opatów County, Świętokrzyskie
Voivodeship, in south-central Poland. Its seat is the town of Ożarów, which
lies approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi) north-east of Opatów and 74 km
(46 mi) east of the regional capital Kielce.
Area: 183.29 sq.km (70.8 sq.mi); Population: 11,452 (2006).
1569 - established by Józef Ożarowski. City rights bestowed by King
Sigismund II Augustus (Zygmunt II August - Žygimantas III Augustas)
1628 - Calvinist Provincial Synod - the city was an important protestant
1767 - great fire destroyed the city center.
1869 - Ożarów lost its city rights under Russian occupation
1905 - the town was part of so-called Ostrowiec Republic, numerous
skirmishes with Russian police and troops.
1915 - (May 25) the town was taken by 1st Brigade of the Polish Legion
of Józef Piłsudski. Departing Russians completely burned it.
1916-20 - period of reconstruction.
1942 - Germans liquidated Ożarów's Jewry
1939-45 - Ożarów lost 70% of inhabitants
1972 - building of the huge cement plant
1987 - restoration of city rights
1990s - the cement plant acquired by the Irish concern CRH.
Arms and flag adopted on April 26, 2005 (resolution # XXX/195/2005).
"Arms: on the golden shield the noble Coat of Arms "Rawicz" - young maiden,
dressed in red gown, with open arms and crowned, sitting on the back of
the black bear.
Flag: yellow rectangle with the Arms (without the shield) placed centrally.
Ratio of the flag is 5:8."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 10 Nov 2008
Ożarów Coat of Arms
image by Jens Pattke, 10 Nov 2008
adopted 26 Apr 2005