Ełk powiat was created in 1999 in the result of the administrative reform of the country. It is located in the eastern part of the Warmińsko – Mazurskie voivodeships. It borders on with the Oleck and Suwalski powiats in the north, with the Gizycki and Piski powiats in the west, with the Augustowski powiat in the east and with the Grajewski powiat in the south. The powiat covers in total an area of 1111.9 km2 and it is inhabited by 86.000 people. The powiat in question comprises Ełk city as well as the following communes: Ełk, Kalinowo, Prostki and Stare Juchy.The powiat covers the Ełk lakeland and a part of Mazury Garbate. The powiat is located in the area which in the early Middle Ages was inhabited by the tribes of Jacwingowie. These people vanished at the end of the 13th of century, slaughtered or displaced by the Teutonic Order. Their existence is testified only by the remains in the form of castles, tombs, indications in the chronicles as well as
many local names. The colonization of these areas started at the turn of 14th and 15th centuries. Ruska Wies was probably the first settlement in this area (founded by the Rusinowie in 1376), along with the village of Klusy, established more or less at the same time. The settlers from Mazowsze would settle here.
Jarig Bakker, 23 Mar 2008
Elk county flag - is a rectangular cloth a ratio 5:8, consisting of
two vertical strips of unequal width. The hoist field is 2/5, the
fly field is 3/5. In the blue hoist a silver eagle with a silver
"Skomanda Cross" (krzyż skomanda; look also:
below a flower water lily (Nymphaea) of the same color. The fly
is divided into seven equal width sloping stripes alternating
white and blue.
Flag and CoA adopted on March 28, 2013 by law " Uchwała Nr
XXX.306.2013 Rady Powiatu Ełckiego z dnia 28 marca 2013 r. w
sprawie ustanowienia herbu i flagi Powiatu Ełckiego oraz ustalenia
zasad ich używania"
The author of the coat of arms is Paul Dudzinski .