Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: odolanow |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The first written document that mentions Odolanów dates back to 1301
during the Piast dynasty, when the location hosted a castle on the border
between Greater Poland (Wielkopolska) and Silesia (Śląsk). A settlement
arose next to the castle, which acquired city rights in 1400 from King
Władysław II Jagiełło.
Until 1793, the town and surrounding villages belonged to princes, kings, or noblemen. Monarchs granted the land to various rich feudals as fief or land tenancy. During this time, Odolanów was constantly under the administrative influence of Kalisz.
In 1793, Odolanów was suddenly found under Prussian rule as a result of the partitioning of Poland, and shortly, within the Duchy of Warsaw.
Arms adopted on July 15, 1990 (resolution # IV/22/90).
Flag adopted on June 13, 2001 (resolution # XXVI/15/2001).
"Arms: on a red shield an open white brick gate above which is a two-storied tower topped with a blue, triangular roof.
Flag: a rectangle composed of two horizontal bands: white over red and
a green triangle at the hoist.
The Arms are placed in the middle of the white band."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 20 Nov 2008