This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wolsztyn district (Poland)

Wolsztyn county, Wielkopolskie voivodship

Last modified: 2011-05-13 by andrew weeks
Keywords: wolsztyn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors





[Wolsztyn flag]
See also:


Wolsztyn flag

Gmina Wolsztyn is an urban-rural gmina (commune) in Wolsztyn County, Greater Poland Voivodship, in west-central Poland. Its seat is the town of Wolsztyn, which lies approximately 63 kilometres (39 mi) south-west of the regional capital Poznañ.
Area: 249.64 sq.km (96.4 sq.mi)
Population: 29,216 (2006)
German name: Wollstein
Soccer (football) team: Grom ("Thunder") Wolsztyn
It is particularly famous for being the last place in Europe where regular, timetabled train services on the national railway network are hauled by steam locomotives. This is currently being partially funded by an organization in the United Kingdom.

Birthplace of Dr.Robert Koch, famous German microbiologist, who while working in 1872-1880 in Wollstein as a County doctor, discovered the bacillus of anthrax and later, in Berlin in 1882, mycobacterium tuberculosis (Koch's bacillus) and subsequently received the Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine in 1905.

Arms and flag adopted on December 30, 2002 (resolution # III/27/2002)

Flag: rectangular piece of cloth in the dimensions of 750 mm by 1200 mm in the colors of white and blue placed in the slant. Upper left part of the flag is white; lower right part - blue, slightly darker than the background of the Arms. On the white field the Arms of the town are placed. On the blue field - a white, wavy ribbon.


Wolsztyn Coat of Arms

[Wolsztyn coat of arms]
Arms: on the blue shield, within the golden mandrola ( the depiction of radiant light encompassing a sacred person), standing on the silver crescent moon is Madonna in the white gown, with the gold crown and silver aureole, covered with the red cape and holding in her right hand the silver scepter and on her left arm the Baby Jesus, also with the silver aureole, with raised and spread wide arms, holding in his left hand the silver apple.