Last modified: 2013-06-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: barajevo | belgrade | wheat |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Barajevo - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 25 November 2006
The municipality of Barajevo (26,630 inhabitants in 2002; 213 sq. km)
is located in southern Belgrade, in the hilly region of Sumadija. It is
made of the 13 villages of Barajevo (8,724 inh.), Vranič (4,184 inh.),
Guncate (2,168 inh.), Meljak (2,166 inh.), Baževac (1,782 inh.), Veliki
Borak (1,342 inh.), Bozdarevac (1,239 inh.), Lisovic (1,175 inh.),
Arnajevo (958 inh.), Beljina (876 inh.), Siljakovac (756 inh.) Manic
(715 inh.) and Rozanci (548 inh.).
The municipality was founded in 1956, including Barajevo, Baževac, Bozdarevac, Guncate and Lisovic. The municipality of Beljina included Beljina, Arnajevo, Manic and Rozanci. Vranič and Meljak were parts of Umka, whereas Veliki Borak and Siljakovac were part of Stepojavac. One year later, in 1957, Beljina was incorporated to Barajevo. In 1960, Umka and Stepojavac were suppressed, while Vranič, Meljak, Veliki Borak and Siljakovac were incorporated into Barajevo.
There was a 100-ha Neolithic (5000 BP) settlement in Barajevo. The
place was leter settled by the Illyrians, the Celts and the Romans. The
time of the first Slavic settlements is unknown. The name of the town
appeared as Baraj (1528) and Barajevo (1536) on Turkish registers.
The area of Barajevo was deeply involved in the First Serbian Uprising. The first Governing Council of Serbia was held in Veliki Borak on 27 August 1805 in the house of the local ruler (knez) Sima Marković, Commander in Chief of the insurrection, later executed in Belgrade. The local hero Milisav Camdzija was among the first rebels to enter the Kalemegdan fortress in Belgrade.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 10 December 2006
The flag and arms of Barajevo, designed by the Serbian Heraldry Society, were adopted in 2006.
Ivan Sarajčić, 25 November 2005