Ohrady (Hungarian: Csallóközkürt) has 1.151 inhabitants (98,0% Hungarian;
1990 census). The village was in
Dunaszerdahely district of Pozsony (in Slovakian Prešporok) County
of Hungary till 1919/1920. 1920-1938 Czechoslovakian, 1938-1944 Hungarian.
The Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocated it to Czechoslovakia. The flag is
The municipality got in the year 1927 a not very successful Slovak
name "Kerť na Ostrove" /"Kerť on the Island"/ that was in parallel
used with a Hungarian name "Csallóköz Kürt". Newer Slovak name "Ohrady"
/"Pens" in English language/ became to be used since 1948 up to the present
times and it was created probably on the basis of not correct translation
(instead of meaning of the word "kürt" = horn was translated the meaning
of the word "kert" = "garden"?)."
István Molnár, 18 May 2001
image from this
site., reported by István Molnár, 18 May 2001