Last modified: 2017-12-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: menderes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Menderes, two versions - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 13 December 2017
The municipality of Menderes (81,279 inhabitants in 2014; 77,500 ha) is located 20 km south of the center of the town of İzmir. Originally known as Cumaovası, the place was renamed Menderes in 1987, for the politician Adnan Menderes (1899-1961), Prime Minister from 1950 to 1960, executed in 1961 by the military junta and rehabilitated in 1990 by the Turkish Parliament.
Ivan Sache, 6 March 2016
The flag of Menderes is white (photo) or red (photo, photo, photo), also used vertically (photo), with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem of the municipality features the old stone bridge (photos), of unknown origin.
Tomislav Šipek, Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 13 December 2017