This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Algoma, Mississippi (U.S.)

Pontotoc County

Last modified: 2021-11-20 by rick wyatt
Keywords: algoma | mississippi | pontotoc county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of Algoma, Mississippi] image by Masao Okazaki, 9 October 2021

See also:

Description of the flag

Flag is white with the name and slogans around a white map of the state, all surrounded by four railroad tracks.

Photo of the flag from the 2012 conference of the Mississippi Municipal League:   
Masao Okazaki, 9 October 2021

Algoma, an Arabic [other sources say, Chickasaw] name meaning "God Abides" was formed in 1904 on the extension of the C & G Railroad southward. On the Cession of 1832, Stephen Daggett, a brother-in-law of Robert Gordon and wealthy Connecticut trader came to Pontotoc and purchased large land holdings from the Chickasaws. Some years later he sold much of his land to settlers and the vicinity around old Algoma was rapidly settled. The Woods, Cameron and Owen families were among the first purchasers of land from Daggett. A post office and one or more stores were in operation at the old village prior to 1860 and at the time of the railroad construction there were several business establishments in operation. With the coming of the railroad all the business houses were moved to the railroad station which was located one mile to the west. The new town was a prosperous place during the years in which large tracts of timber were being cut and marketed from the flatwoods area west of the village. The H.B. Owen Tie Company was formed and thousands of cross ties were shipped from the railroad station. After the timber had been cut the business of the town declined rapidly and the railroad agency was reduced too only a prepay station.

The town was surveyed into lots and streets and incorporated in 1911 with T.R. Powell as mayor.
On March 13, 1913 a tornado hit Algoma, resulting in high property damage. The following Sunday, the depot burned. It was replaced with a small building. Later the same year, two downtown stores and the post office burned. The Post Office was replaced and is still active at the present. As the timber supply was depleted the area became a farming community. The town gradually declined and R.A. Collins served as the last mayor from 1931-1933. The train depot was taken away around 1959. In 1961 Algoma consisted of two stores, a post office, and three churches Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Usher Valley and of course the schools.

Algoma was again reincorporated in 1988 with Lavert McCoy as mayor and is still growing in 2000. It has a volunteer fire department, the same churches, a new post office, a renown restaurant, (owned by a 1961 graduate of Algoma) a new park, a newly organized Historical Society and many new residents. In the past two years the town has celebrated an annual "Crosstie Festival", and as a community service of historical value have recently moved the first school house to the Algoma site beside the gym. Renovations and repairs are in process at this time.
Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy and History

Ivan Sache, 10 October 2021