Last modified: 2019-04-25 by rick wyatt
Keywords: morrow county | ohio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located at The Flag Lady's Flag Store by Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Morrow County:
A white flag with a central dark blue shape, probably the county, with a white pinnacle. Around the central emblem is a circle made of four strings of four red stars, the county name, and the year of founding, 1848.
Phil Nelson, 9 November 2003
Morrow County was founded February 24, 1848. It was formed from parts of Delaware, Knox, Marion, and Richland Counties.
Morrow is named in honor of Jeremiah Morrow, who served as Ohio's 9th Governor from 1822 to 1826. He also served in the U.S. Senate and was a member of the House of Representatives when Morrow County was founded.
The first official flag of Morrow County was chosen in 1885. The following symbolic items are depicted within the design of the flag:
16 stars represent the 16 townships of Morrow County: Bennington, Cannon, Cardington, Chester, Congress, Franklin, Gilead, Harmony, Lincoln, North Bloomfield, Perry, Peru, South Bloomfield, Washington, and Westfield. Center outline of Morrow County is the Monument, dedicated to the citizens of Morrow County, by the U.S. Government for the highest sales per capita in the state, of World War I War Bonds and stamps in 1919. The reported sales were 727,070, or an average of 43.15 for every man, woman, and child in the County, which totalled 16,800 at that time. The number 1848 in the flag depicts the founding year of Morrow County.
The Flag, chosen in a countywide contest, was first flown at the 132nd Ohio State Fair in August of 1885.
submitted by: Falko Schmidt, 10 August 2001
This red, white and blue flag was first chosen in 1985 in a county-wide contest. It centers on a blue silhouette of Morrow County and a white image of the Monument which was dedicated to Morrow County Citizens by the U.S. Government for the highest WWI War Bond sales per capita in 1919. Sixteen red stars in a circle represent the townships of the county. Morrow County was established in 1848. It was named for Ohio Governor Jeremiah Morrow.
Located by Valentin Poposki, 26 September 2007
image located by Paul Bassinson, 23 February 2019
Paul Bassinson, 23 February 2019