Last modified: 2022-08-13 by rick wyatt
Keywords: sylvania | ohio | lucas county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Masao Okazaki, 26 July 2022
Sylvania is in northwestern Ohio, adjoining the City of Toledo, on its western margin. The population of the City of Sylvania is 18,670 and Sylvania Township is 25,583 according to the 2002 census figures. Its webpage at www.cityofsylvania.com/Community/About/about.htm records
"Sylvania was founded in 1833 by Judge William Wilson and General David White. The heavily forested location prompted adoption of its name. In its early years Sylvania served the farms and general residential community with saw mills, tannery, barrel stave factory, grist mills, livery stables, and blacksmith shops. It was the center of rural life in this area. The first school was erected in 1834, and it served until 1844 when the Old Stone Academy was build. Sylvania was incorporated into a village in 1867, and reached city status on January 1, 1961."Chris Kretowicz, 16 August 2002
MAYOR'S MESSAGEMasao Okazaki, 26 July 2022
Craig A. Stough 7/15/2021
"New City Logo and Flags"
Last year, City Council approved a new logo for the City of Sylvania. That logo is now being displayed on city buildings, city vehicles and city documents. The logo has also been incorporated into a new city flag flying at city facilities around the community.
The new logo is a burr oak leaf representing the many oak trees of our oak savannah natural habitat. Our community heritage tree in the front yard of City Hall is a butt oak estimated to be 370 years old. After working with the Fuller Art House for nearly a year, City Council vote to replace the decades old maple leaf logo with this new logo for our City of Trees.
The old three maple leaf logo served the city well for almost forty years. The maple leaves represented the many native maple trees of our wooded area. Although a favorite in many minds, City Council felt it was time for an update. Over the last year, signage has been updated at City facilities, including City Hall, City Council Chambers, the Forestry Building and the Service Building. As service and police city vehicles are replaced, the new logo is being displayed.
The new log is also being incorporated into the current updating and restoration of the City of Sylvania Wayfinding signs located around the community. Those signs were a great addition to our community about fifteen years ago, but were ready for being restored to a newer appearance.
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz
source: GWAV website
The flag can be obtained from the Mayor's office.
Flag originally published in FlaGWAVer by John Purcell.
Chris Kretowicz, 16 August 2002
image located by Randy Young, 2 July 2014
The flag of the Sylvania Police Department is royal blue with the department seal in the center. Above the seal in white letters is the word "SYLVANIA", and below the seal in white letters "POLICE".
Randy Young, 2 July 2014