This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

San Jacinto battle flag 1836 (U.S.)

The Newport Rifles

Last modified: 2020-07-31 by rick wyatt
Keywords: united states | san jacinto battle flag | newport rifles |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[San Jacinto battle flag] image by Randy Young, 19 October 2004

See also:

External sites:


From the book "Flags to Color, Washington to Lincoln," page 16, and is titled "San Jacinto color, 1836."

Quoted from book -
"Colors: White flag; yellow fringe; red liberty cap on pole; brown-haired woman wearing white dress with red robe; light blue ribbon; light blue clouds."

"The great victory that led to Texas independence was fought under a flag that has been reconstructed as shown here; nineteenth-century flags were frequently made of silk with elaborate designs painted in oil colors. Most of these flags have since deteriorated because of the practice of adding lead to the silk to give it better drape and body. Moreover the oil dried out, cracked and fell off in many instances."

Randy Young, 19 October 2004

The Newport Rifles Flag 1836

[Newport Rifles flag 1836] image from Pete Loeser, 27 July 2020

This was the banner the Texans carried at the turning point of their War for Independence. Santa Anna's army of over 6,000 men had swept across Texas to the grassy plains of San Jacinto. It appeared all was lost, but a sudden morning surprise attack at San Jacinto by the Texas army under the command of Sam Houston changed everything and in less than 20 minutes it was all over. With cries of "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad," they had charged into the Mexican camp, Santa Anna was captured, and the war was over.
The flag is believed to have been painted by artist James Henry Beard in late 1835 as a gift for the Newport Rifles, a 52-man company of Kentucky volunteers led by Captain Sidney Sherman. The rifle company was formed to help Texans battle the Mexican Army. Their flag was the only one carried at the Battle of San Jacinto. (source)
Pete Loeser, 27 July 2020