This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Maldonado Department (Uruguay)

Departamento de Maldonado

Last modified: 2018-10-18 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: maldonado | departamento de maldonado | whale |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Maldonado Department Flag]
by Ivan Sache, 22 May 2017
See also: Other sites:

Presentation

The department of Maldonado (164,300 inhabitants in 2011) is made of the municipalities of Aiguá, Garzón, Maldonado (capital), Pan de Azúcar, Piriápolis, Punta del Este, San Carlos and Solís Grande.
Ivan Sache, 22 May 2017


Description of the flag

The flag of the department is white with the historical coat of arms of the town of Maldonado in the middle.

The coat of arms of Maldonado was granted on 18 April 1803 by Charles IV. It features a whale emerging from a stormy sea, a fortress watching the site from a wide horizon, and an anchor.

Whales were once commonly seen off Maldonado - and can still be seen, to a lesser extent, though. The fortress recalls the foundation of Maldonado as a military post. The anchor is a tribute to the inhabitants of the town, to the earlier colonists from the Old World who crossed the ocean and spotted the local coast before entering Río de la Plata.

The whole shield represents Maldonado as a shelter between the beach and the sky and between the ocean and Río de la Plata.
Ivan Sache, 22 May 2017

Other sites:

Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.