Last modified: 2021-08-26 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: aragua | girardot | maracay |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Jens Pattke, 13 Febuary 2004
Flag of the Municipality of Girardot, State of Aragua -
Summoned to competition for the design of the municipal flag,
organized by the Mayor's Office of the Municipality Girardot, the
people of Aragua responded with numerous proposals. The examining
jury choose Mr. Francisco Martínez Chacón's design. The flag of
Girardot is composed by five strips diverse size and color: those
of green color symbolize the hope, the perseverance, the
intrepidity and the friendship as the inhabitants' of the
municipality virtues, as well as the greenery of the mountain to
whose foot is the municipal territory. The white strips represent
the faith, the purity and the integrity, virtues that reach
eminent expression in the Mother María of San José, native of
Choroní, coastal town of the municipality, and beatified by the
Pope Juan Pablo II at the City of the Vatican, May 7, 1995. The
indigo blue strip, represents the justice, the pity and the
loyalty, and also the marine, lacustrine and fluvial waters that
bath the soil of the municipality. Toward the center, appears the
coat of arms of the municipality. The flag was hoisted by first
time on March 5, 2001, on ocassion of the tricentennial of the
city of Maracay, capital of the municipality and of the state of
Coat of arms of the Municipality of Girardot, State of Aragua - It was adopted toward 1960, I don't have the precise date. It is divided in three barracks: in the first one, gold, there is a figure of a non proven historically Indian chief called Maracaya, from where the name of the city of Maracay would come; the second, azure, contains five fruits of cocoa (Theobroma cocoa), pillar of the regional and Venezuelan economy until the end of the 19th. Century, and still of the best in the world; the third, red, contains the head of a jaguar (Panthera onca or Jaguarius onca), whereas according to another version the name of Maracay would come from the Caribbean (Indian) voice for that animal, maracaya. This same word, Maracaya, is in a tape at the top. Another tape, at the bottom, contains three historical dates: March 5, 1701, when the Bishop of Caracas, Diego de Baños y Sotomayor, rose San José of Maracay as an ecclesiastical viceparish, to make offcial its existence; January 22, 1814, when the Liberator Simón Bolívar rose it to the range of city through an ordinance; and March 12, 1917, when the Legislative Assembly of the State designated it as the capital city of Aragua.
The name of the Municipality, Girardot, is an homage to Colonel Atanasio Girardot, a Colombian officer in the Liberator's Army, who died in Venezuela, in the site of Bárbula, State of Carabobo, in 1813. There is a Girardot Square (plaza Girardot) in Maracay, with a monolite which regards the Americans that came with the General Francisco de Miranda expedition to liberate Venezuela, in 1806, and died as POW of the Spaniards.
Pablo Acosta Ríos, 7 March 2002
The image at the
official site <www.alcaldiagirardot.gov.ve>
got different shade of green. See also <www.siga.sian.info.ve>.
Falko Schmidt, 29 October 2002 and Dov gutterman, 11 Febuary 2004
Recently we was on Maracay (the capital of Girardot
Municipality) and we saw the Flags of Venezuela, Aragua State and
Girardot Municipality hoisted on a square . The shade of green is
the same of the Variant (?) sended by Mr.
Pablo Acosta Ríos.
Raul Orta, 5 November 2002
by Pablo Acosta Ríos, 7 March 2002