San Vicente resulted from reforestation initiated on 12 October 1959 by the Instituto de Previsión Social de la Provincia de Misiones in Cuartel Tarumá, Km. 48 of Provincial Road No. 212 (today, No. 13). The settlement was officially founded on 27 September 1961 at Km. 260 of National Road No. 14 and named for its patron saint, St. Vincent de Paule (1581-1660, canonized on 16 June 1737 by Pope Clement XII). The Consortium for the Edification of San Vicente was formed by the villagers on 4 March 1965.
The municipality of San Vicente was established on 22 November 1978 by Provincial Law No. 1,033.
The flag of San Vicente is prescribed in the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 31 July 2013, as follows:
Article 17. Official flag of the municipality
The official flag of the municipality, designed by Pr. Guillermo Bulak, is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 18, adopted on 24 June
Its use is mandatory in all municipal dependencies, events and ceremonies performed within the municipal jurisdiction, hoisted
jointly with the national and provincial flags on public buildings and squares [...].
Article 18. Meaning of the municipal flag
The municipal flag of San Vicente is inspired by the geographical, economical, cultural and social features of the municipality; it also
exhibits a strong connection with already existing symbols, such as the coat of arms of San Vicente and the provincial and national flags.
The ample triangle featured in the center of the flag, like a transversal stripe, represents a tree, inspired from the municipal
coat of arms, in which it is shown in the central disk, close to the map of Misiones.
The tree represents timber, the basic source of income for our municipality, which is titled the "National Capital of Timber". To
represent the tree, the stripe is green.
Green is also the symbol of the vegetal biomass covering our soil, part of the flora that once covered the whole region, the Parana
Forest. The green colour dominates all the year round. Green is also the expression of the agricultural resources, which are other pillars
and boosters of the growth and development of our territory. Being a central element of our landscape, geography, economy,
industry, tourism, which are our social activities, it is placed in the central stripe of the flag.
The celestial blue colour of the right stripe has two meanings: first, the connection with the national flag, and, second, the water
resources of the municipality, supplied by the numerous watercourses that have their source, their falls and beauty in the area, and the
presence of water in one of the most rainy municipalities in the province and the country (c. 2,000 mm).
The red colour of the left stripe has three meanings: first, the connection with the provincial flag designed by the eminent Andrés Guacurarí, second, the connection with the colour of the federal system that rules our country, and, third, the colour of our soil, of our rich mother earth that supports agricultural production, part of its resources and a source of life and work for a great part of the population. The red soil dyes all the neighborhood, like a mark or an indelible seal that provides its print to everything around it.
Finally, this emblematic work is crowned by to elements of rich symbolic.
First, the sun, featured on the national emblems (coat of arms and flag), in our sky, expression of light, life, force, impulse and
empowerment of a community; a symbol expressing union and future. The sun, located between the central and right stripes (East, on maps), also indicates the geographical location of the municipality of San Vicente in the Province of Misiones and in the country, alluding also to the location of the town in the center-eastern part of the province. Second, a handshake, expressing friendship, cordiality, mutual aid, affect and welcome, which are characteristic of our population, of our people, of meeting on our soil; the handshake is also featured on the municipal coat of arms. The hand are of two colours, one coloured and one white. The coloured hand represents all the natives to the American land, Guarani from the Upper Parana and Eldorado cultures, who settled the place more than 8,000-9,000 years ago and lived there in complete harmony with the natural environment. The white hand represents the immigrants, who came in search of peace, of a family and a better future, worked and built a life project to accomplish their dreams in a Christian vocation. Two words, two cultures watched by the local pioneers, who proposed in the 1960s the name of Eurindians to represent this anthropological universe, sometimes antagonistic, in a single word that would merge the two civilizations, European and American.