This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Třešť (Czechia)

Jihlava okres, Vysočina region

Last modified: 2018-05-25 by kryštof huk
Keywords: trest | unicorn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Třešť city flag

[flag of Trest] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 14 Apr 2001, after image from this website, reported by Jarig Bakker, 8 July 2000

Třešť - the second biggest centre in the Jihlava district, lies in a deep defile in the Czech-Moravian highland, surrounded by mild as well as steeper hills. In the east Špičák (734m) rises, in the north Čeřínek (768m) and on the horizon of the south side Javořice (836). The original heart of the town - the parish village Třešť - was founded at the turn of the 12th and the 13th centuries. It was founded by the brook, where two trade routs crossed. The first written document dates back to 1349 when Třešť was a small demesne with a church and a citadel and belonged to Záviš from Třešť. There were several owners in the course of following centuries in Třešť. It belonged to the Šternberk family, the Vencelík family, the Herbenstein family - they owed it for 300 years and the last 100 years till 1945 it belonged to Wenzel- Sternbach family. Třešť became a town in 1901. The foundation of the townlet of Třešť with its Jewish community was without doubt connected with the discovery and royal mining of silver in the Jihlava region (around 1240). The townlet was founded on the left bank of the brook Třeštice with a big triangular square in the middle. The original village with the parish church of St. Martin and with the citadel lay on the right bank. In the 16th century when Třešť was in the possession of the Vencelík's family from Vrchoviště and in Žirovnice, on the origin place of the citadel was built a chateau and on the square the Lutheran church was founded - nowadays the church of St. Catherine. The Empire synagogue built after the big fire of the town in 1824 has preserved left by former Jewish community. Franz Kafka's stays in the town are connected with the Třešť Jewish community. The origin of his work "The Country Doctor" is set into this scene. The industry was developing at the beginning of the 19th century. The cloth factory, the match-factory were founded and the small series manufacture of clock boxes and carved furniture began in 1868. The evidence of the Třešť Christmas crib making that has been developing since the 18th century attracts the visitors of the town museum. Originally only drawn and coloured figures turned into exacting carving execution in the course of the 19th century.
Source: The Třešť history page.
Jarig Bakker, 8 July 2000

Třešť coat of arms

[coat of arms of Trest] image from this website, reported by Jarig Bakker, 8 July 2000