Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí Čr (1991-1994)
- Jaroměř, Náchod district, Hradek Kralové region - adopted 2 Sep 1994.
Jaroměř is one of the oldest Czech towns with 13.000 inhabitants. Today's
historical centre has been settled for almoust one thousand years. This
place was founded by Prince Jaromir (from the Premysl dynasty) at the beginning
of the 11th centrury and he named it Jaroměř. The first historical report
about Jaroměř dates from 1126. It became a king's town in the reign of
Premysl Otakar II. The oldest written report about the town's existence
is from 1298. A document from 1307 granted Jaroměř town's rights. Since
that time Jaroměř has belonged to Czech Queen's dowry towns. Jaromer was
captured by Hussites and became a member of their military union in 1421.
After the Hussite wars were over, the town refused to submit itselve to
queen Barbara, which is reflected in the town coat-of-arms. The lioness
in the crown of thorns symbolizes the queen's suffering injustice.
Information from the town's
Jarig Bakker, 11 Oct 2001
On the top of the Jaroměř-Josefov
homepage is the flag of Jaroměř town and another one, probably of Josefov,
the fortress southeast of Jaroměř, which forms a twincity with it.
Jarig Bakker, 19 Sep 2001