Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí Čr (1996)
- Hostěrádky-Rešov, Vyškov district, South Moravian region - flag adopted
3 Apr 1996.
Hostěrádky - Rešov, a town located in the south fringe of the Vyškov
na Moravě district, can be found on the south-east slope of Stará hora,
which was a significant place and witness to Emperor Napoleon's armies
winning the memorable battle at Slavkov in 1805. The town's settlement
can be traced all the way back to the 8th or 9th Century AD. A 1961 excavation
that uncovered the remains of a Slavic tribe settlement proves this statement.
The first written documents that mention the town's name date back to 1270.
The town's name was derived from the surname Hostirad. Over time, Hostirady
changed to Hostěrádky, later to Malé Hostěrádky, and after joining with
Rešov in 1913, the town acquired its present name, Hostěrádky - Rešov.
It is supposed that the originally independent town of Rešov was founded
in 1777 through the "parceling" of land in the possession of the Chrlice
dominion, which belonged to the Olomouc bishopric. The name of the town
is derived from the word Reš, which was the name of the last overseer of
the court. Hostěrádky - Rešov may not be a very large town, but it is one
with a rather colorful and stirring history. Wars in particular have left
their deep tracks here, including the memorable one in 1805. Prior to the
30 Years War, the town was the site of 24 buildings, and in 1657 this number
remained unchanged, although only 3 of them were inhabited. In the time
of Napoleon's battle, there were already over 50 inhabited houses, and
nearly 300 residents. Today, the town has over 300 dwellings with 750 inhabitants.
The local wine tradition is definitely also worthy of mention. Vineyards
can be found on the hillside of Stará hora. Grapes and a vintner's knife
are symbols used on the municipal seal, which illustrates the significance
and tradition of this town's good wine.
Jarig Bakker, 5 Oct 2002