Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: augsburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Red-green-white, shown as a banner [hanging flag] on Staack
1997. The colours are derived from the arms which are parted
per pale red and white with a Zirbelnuss [pine-cone] in
Stefan Schwoon, 8 Mar 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International
Civic Arms website: The oldest known seal of Augsburg dates from 1237
and shows a city gate under a star. In the gate there is a so-called tree-of-life.
From 1260 until the 19th century the seals of the city showed the same
composition, but with a bunch of grapes in the gate. The grapes are a canting
symbol, Augster is a variety of grapes. In the meantime the arms
developed separately. In the 15th century the grapes appear in images on
a red and white shield. The shield is taken from the arms of the Bishops
of Augsburg. In the late 15th century an antique pine tree cone was found
in the city and the grapes were subsequently changed into a so-called Zirbelnuss.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 1 Feb 2002
The city colours of Göggingen were indeed green and red, mentioned in
Deutsches StÃ€dtebuch V,2 (see bib entry [keyXX]). Göggingen received town
rights in 1969, but was integrated into the city of Augsburg only three
Official usage must have ceased with the integration into Augsburg. Whether the flag is still used inofficially is hard to say, but it is quite possible.
Stefan Schwoon, 11 Dec 2004
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here