This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hoyerswerda City [Sorbian Wojerecy] (Germany)

Stadt Hoyerswerda, Landkreis Bautzen, Saxony

Last modified: 2020-03-28 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: hoyerswerda | wojerecy | oak |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Hoyerswerda city flag (Germany)] 3:5 image by Stefan Schwoon, 9 Mar 2001

See also:

Hoyerswerda City [Sorbian Wojerecy]

Brief History

Hoyerswerda was founded in the 12th century, gained city rights in 1423. It became together with Upper Lusatia a part of the Saxon Electorate in 1635, of the Prussian Brandenburg Province in 1815, of its Silesia Provinz in 1825, of Saxony in 1945 and from 1952 until 1990 of the Cottbus District within the GDR. It had a bit more than 7000 inhabitants in 1950. When the brown coal mining complex of Schwarze Pumpe was established and in 1955 Neu-Hoyerswerda, a new socialist suburb for the miners, was built, the number of inhabitants increased up to more than 71,000 inhabitants in 1981, but due to a mining crisis after 1990 it decreased again down to around 50,000 inhabitants in 1999. Hoyerswerda gained the rank of a county-free city in 1994 but lost it again in 2008.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, pp.49-50
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Jan 2020

Hoyerswerda Flag

It is a white-green bicolour with centred arms.
Source: description sent by Falko Schmidt from Eckhart Leisering: "Die Wappen der kreisfreien Städte und Landkreise im Freistaat Sachsen: Veröffentlichung der Sächsischen Archivverwaltung", Mitteldeutscher Verlag, Halle/Saale, ISBN 3-89812-069-4
Stefan Schwoon, 9 Mar 2001

Hoyerswerda Flag (until 1950/1952)

[Hoyerswerda city flag (until 1950/1952)] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Jan 2020

It was a green-white horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.50
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Jan 2020

Hoyerswerda Flag (1970 - 1989)

[Hoyerswerda city flag (1970 - 1989)] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Jan 2020

It was a white decoration and festival banner with silver fringes and centred arms.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen, Flaggen und Symbole in Sachsen und seinen Stadt- und Landkreisen", Goslar 2001, p.50
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Jan 2020

Hoyerswerda Coat of Arms

Shield Argent, issuant from base a triplemount Vert, each peak topped by an oak of the same leafed and fruited.
Meaning:
The arms are known from seals since the 16th century. They display the family arms of the Berka of the Duba kin with "Duba" meaning "oak". They ruled the Lordship of Hoyerswerda from 1382 until 1442. Since 1993 the form of the shield was changed to an Iberian shield, a Halbrundschild in German context.
Source: Bensing et al. 1984, p.205
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Jan 2020

The first bicolour was in use until 1950/1952. The monocolour with fringes from 1970 until 1989, the current bicolour since 1993.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Jan 2020


back to County and Municipal Flags (Saxony / Sachsen) click here.