This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Euskirchen County (Germany)

Kreis Euskirchen, Nordrhein-Westfalen

Last modified: 2020-05-22 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: euskirchen(county) | bannerhead | quartered | lion(black) | rose | cross(black) | fess(indented) | hammer | spindle | grain(ear) | bordure |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Euskirchen county banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Aug 2011 See also:

Euskirchen County

Euskirchen County Banner

It is a red-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is placed into a white bannerhead.
Source: 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of Euskirchen county, version 11 November 2009
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Aug 2011

Euskirchen County Flag (1954-1973)

[Euskirchen county flag 1954] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jan 2014

It was a white flag with a black bordure. The coat of arms was in the centre of the flag.
Source:Stadler 1964, p.33
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jan 2014

Euskirchen County Flag (1954-1973) with supporters

[Euskirchen county flag 1954 w/ supporters] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2020

It was a black-white-black horizontal triband with ratio of stripes approx.1:13:1. The greater arms with supporters were in the middle of the white stripe.
Source: letter from NRW Main State Archive to Falko Schmidt on 9 November 1999
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2020

Euskirchen County Coat of Arms

Shield quartered, 1st quarter Gules three roses Or ordered 2:1, 2nd quarter Or a lion rampant Sable armed and tongued Gules, 3rd quarter Argent parted by a cross Sable, 4th quarter Gules a fess dancetty Or.
Meaning:
The new arms represent the four main territories, which form the new county. The 1st quarter shows the roses of the Counts of Aremberg; the 2nd quarter the lion of the Dukes of Jülich, the 3rd quarter the cross of the Archbishopric and Electorate of Köln and the 4th quarter the arms of the Counts of Manderscheid-Blankenheim.
Sources: Ralf Hartemink's webpage based on Nagel 1986
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Aug 2011

Euskirchen County Coat of Arms (1954-1973)

Shield Vert, a grain ear Or in pales flanked by a hammer Argent in pale at dexter and a spindle in pale of the same at sinister side, chief asrgent parted by a cross Sable.
Meaning:
The charges below are symbolising the main business lines. The hammer is representing mining, the grain agriculture and the spindle textiles industry. The chief displays the arms of the Archbishopric and Electorate of Köln. The archbishops were rulers of the biggest part of the county in the past.
The greater arms had two supporters; On the sinister side was a red lion, crowned golden (= yellow), representing the Lords of Monschau-Valkenburg, who granted the city rights to Euskirchen in 1302. On the dexter side a black lion, tongued red, representing the Dukes of Jülich, who also ruled parts of the county in the past.
Source:Stadler 1964, p.33
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 22 Jan 2014

The current banner and coat of arms were approved on 31 October 1973 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Köln. The former flag was approved on 24 September 1954. The former arms were approved on 6 August 1948. The former symbols were abolished on 31 December 1972.


Schleiden County

Schleiden County Flag


[Schleiden county flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2020

It was a horizontal 7-stripes flag with alternating black and yellow stripes and arms shifted to the hoist.
Source: letter from NRW Main State Archive to Falko Schmidt on 9 November 1999
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2020

Schleiden County Coat of Arms

Shield quartered, 1st quarter Or a fess dancetty Gules, 2nd quarter Or a lion rampant Sable tongued Gules, 3rd quarter Argent a throughout cross Sable, 4th quarter Gules three heraldic roses Or ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
All quarters refer to former rulers, the 1st quarter to the Counts of Manderscheid, the 2nd to the Dukes of Jülich, the 3rd to the Archbishops of Köln and the 4th to the Dukes of Aremberg.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.80
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2020

The arms were probably iapproved in 1937 or 1938. The flag was pproved on 20 October 1950. The symbols were abolished on 31 December 1972
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 May 2020


back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here