This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Weißwasser in Oberlausitz City [Sorbian: Bĕła Woda] (Germany)

Gemeinde Weißwasser in der Oberlausitz, Landkreis Görlitz, Sachsen

Last modified: 2022-09-17 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: weiszwasser(oberlausitz) | hammer and mallet | rummer | engrailed |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Weißwasser in Oberlausitz city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Sep 2022
See also:

Weißwasser in Oberlausitz City

Weißwasser Banner

It is a blue-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Sep 2022

Weißwasser Flag

[Weißwasser in Oberlausitz city flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Sep 2022

It is a blue-yellow horizontal bicolour with centred coat of arms.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Sep 2022

Weißwasser Coat of Arms

French shield parted per chevron reversed embowed; above Or hammer and mallet Sable in saltire; beneath parted per fess engrailed, above Azure two rummers Vert, beneath Argent parted by lines engrailed Sable.
Weißwasser was first mentioned in 1351 and belonged to the Lordship of Muskau. Since 1860 brown coal was depleted and in 1867 the village was annexed to the railway. The riches of lignite (brown coal), quartz sand and clay caused the introduction of glassworks since 1872, supported by gaffers from Schlesien (Silesia) and Böhmen (Bohemia). Vereinigte Lausitzer Glaswerke had been one of the biggest glass kilns of Europe. Since 1895 additional industries settled down, among others a factory for the production of porcelain and of mirrors. Weißwasser gained city rights in 1935. Blue and yellow are the tinctures of Oberlausitz (Upper Lusatia). The rummers are symbolising glassworks, hammer and mallet are symbolising mining. The colour of the rummers has been changed from white to green by some funny reasons no longer matching heraldic rules.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.483-484
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Sep 2022

The arms were approved on 31 January 1927.
Klaus-Michael Schneider,

back to Görlitz cities and municipalities click here