This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wiesentheid Market Town (Germany)

Markt Wiesentheid, Landkreis Kitzingen, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-11-14 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wiesentheid | lion(passant) | heather(stalk) | hill |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wiesentheid town banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 9 Nov 2020
See also:

Wiesentheid Market Town

Wiesentheid Banner

It is a green-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Nov 2020

Wiesentheid Coat of Arms

On base Vert a hill issuant Argent, three stalks of heather Gules issuant from hill, superimposing a lion passant Argent, crowned and armed Azure.
Wiesentheid was elevated to a market town in 1682. The village had been originally a possession of the Counts of Castell. It was acquired in 1704 byImperial Count Rudolf Erwein of Schönborn as husband of the Countess of Hatzfeld-Dernbach. Under his rule the town flourished. The original arms displayed a sinister facing lion passant Or crowned Or. That lion was taken from the arms of the Schönborn kin. Those arms are displayed on the port of the town hall, built in 1741, also on seals of the early 19th century and finally in all literature since 1898. The current pattern is of unknown origin and was established around 1975. According to the local webpage the meadow (German: Wiese) and the stalks of heather (German: Heide) together are canting.
Source: Klaus Reder: "Unterfränkisches Wappenbuch", Würzburg 1997 and Stadler 1968, p.96
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Nov 2020

The arms are in use since the 18th century
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Nov 2020

back to Kitzingen cities and municipalities click here